The following statements represent different opinions about cocaine. Please rate HOW IMPORTANT each statement is to you in deciding whether or not to use cocaine according to the following 5 point scale with 5 = Extremely important and 1 = Not important.
5 = Not Important
4 = A little bit important
3 = Somewhat important
2 = Quite important
1 = Extremely Important
1. I feel better about myself while using cocaine.
 
2. Cocaine makes me feel more confident and sociable.
 
3. I am more fun to be with when I use cocaine.
 
4. My cocaine use has led me to act irresponsibly.
 
5. I feel more confident when I use cocaine.
 
6. When using cocaine I fail to keep up with bills.
 
7. Cocaine helps me relieve tension.
 
8. As I became more involved with cocaine, I pulled away from people I was once close to.
 
9. When using cocaine, I borrow money which I fail to pay back.
 
10.  Cocaine gives me that extra boost of energy.
 
11.  Buying cocaine has contributed to my experiencing some financial strain.
 
12.  I experience sleep problems when I use cocaine.




Scoring

Pros: 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 10 (Alpha = .86)
Cons:  4, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12 (Alpha = .87)
  
References
Prochaska, J. O., W. F. Velicer, et al. (1994). "Stages of change and decisional balance for 12 problem behaviors." Health Psychology 13: 39-46.